FOR THE CRUMBLE:
• 70g rolled oats
• 70g wholemeal flour
• 70g butter
• 40g raw brown sugar
FOR THE FILLING:
• 400g granny smith apples (peeled, cored & quartered)
• 400g ripe pears (peeled, cored & quartered)
• 100g sugar to sweeten
• 1 x cinnamon stick
• 1 x piece of star anise
• 1/2 TSPN grnd ginger
• 1/2 TSPN Lucky Taco Chilli Salt
• 1 small chilli (whole)
• 2 TBSNS water
• Pre-heat oven to 180ºc.
• Peel, core, quarter apples & pears (cockney rhyming slang for stairs) & cut into chunks.
• Put the apples & pears in saucepan with the sugar, water, cinnamon, chilli, chilli salt, ginger & star anise.
• Bring the mixture to the boil - and let the fruit soften. When the liquid evaporates - you're done!
• Pick out the star anise, chilli & cinnamon stick and place the stewed fruit in oven-proof dish.
• Now for the crumble...
• Place oats & flour into a bowl.
• Cut in butter (bit by bit). Mix together with your fingertips until mixture resembles bread-crumbs.
• Add raw brown sugar to crumb & mix through.
• Cover the fruit with the crumble mixture & bake for about 20 / 30 mins. Or until bubbling, & golden brown on top.
• Serve with vanilla custard or ice-cream.