FOR THE SPONGE
• Pre-heat oven to 180ºc.
• Butter (and dust with flour) a 20cm cake tin (so the cake doesn’t stick).
• Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder & soda into a mixing bowl. Add rest of ingredients & mix together until combined.
• Then add 1 cup boiling water.
• Mix together until smooth batter.
• Pour into prepared cake tin & place in pre-heated oven.
• Bake for approx 45m/ 50 mins. Or until skewer comes out clean.
• Leave to cool for 10 mins, before turning out onto a wire rack.
• Leave cake to cool completely before frosting.
FOR THE FROSTING
• Place softened butter & sugar into mixing bowl.
• Add peppermint extract & beat with electric mixer until smooth & creamy.
• Add green food colouring & mix to combine. Add more if you want a richer green - up to you!
FOR THE CHOC TOPPING
• Break into small pieces & place in microwavable bowl.
• Blast for 30 second intervals & then stir.
• Usually takes 90 secs to melt.
• Once melted, pour into the middle of the cake, atop the peppermint frosting, and gently push to the edges with the back of a dessert spoon.
• I like to push the melted chocolate to the very edge of the sponge, so it starts to cascade down the side…*drool* - but totally up to you!
VOILA! Stand back & admire your RAD AF cake!
Enjoy! Hope you love it as much as I do!