Cooking Time: 40 mins!
Difficulty: EASY! Just take care to remove all bones!
• 500g smoked fish
• 1 large carrot (peeled & very finely diced)
• 1 stick celery (very finely diced)
• Half (or whole) teaspoon Lucky Taco Habanero hot sauce
• 800g potato (peeled & chopped into 2cm cubes)
• 125g grated cheddar
• 7 garlic cloves
• Large handful spinach (wilted)
• 100g creme fraiche
• Zest & juice of 1 lemon
• Olive oil (4 x tablespoons)
• 25g butter
• Salt & cracked black pepper to taste
• Pre-heat oven to 180ºc.
• Heat saucepan of boiling water. Add cubed potato & garlic cloves & boil for approx 10 to 15 mins (until soft enough to mash).
• Once potatoes are cooked, drain water & then add butter & glug (approx tablespoon) of olive oil into the saucepan & mash. Season with salt & taste. Adjust seasoning accordingly.
• In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat. Sautee the finely diced carrot & celery for a few minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Don't let the ingredients brown. You just want to sweat the flavour out a wee bit & soften the vegs. For the last 30 seconds - add the spinach and stir. When the spinach has wilted down, remove the pan from the heat & set aside.
• Shred smoked fish into a large mixing bowl (bite-size pieces). Take extra care to remove any bones. We used smoked Trevally - but you can use ANY smoked fish you like.
• Now add the sauteed vegs from the frying pan, creme fraiche, grated cheddar cheese, zest & juice of lemon & Lucky Taco habanero hot sauce to the fish in the mixing bowl. Add a generous few grinds of cracked black pepper, a good pinch of salt & the remaining tablespoon of olive oil & stir until mixture is well combined.
• Scoop smoked fish mixture into a medium sized baking dish & flatten evenly.
• Spread mashed potato on top of the smoked fish mixture & make a pretty pattern with the back of a fork! Or just spread rustically. If you have a few peaks in the mashed potato, they will catch the heat & get extra golden & crispy - so it's a winning move if you ask me...
• Bung it in the oven & cook for approx 30 to 40 mins (or until the top is bubbling & golden brown).
• Comfort food 101.
• We ran some fresh green beans through a bean slicer (so you get noodly slithers - YUM). Boil in hot water for 2 minutes. Drain. Whizz some melted butter & salt through them & serve alongside the pie. D.LISHO.