Cooking Time: 2.5 hours
Serves: 4 hungry
• 1 x smoked ham hock or 2KG smoked bacon bones
• 2 cups yellow split peas (must be soaked overnight before use)
• 2.5 litres vege or chicken stock
• 1 x stick of celery
• 1 x carrot
• 1 x onion
• 1 x thumb-sized knob ginger
• 1 TBSPN Lucky Taco habanero hot sauce
• 1 TBSPN turmeric
• 1 TSPN apricot jam
• 1 TSPN ground cumin
• 1 TSPN groung coriander
• Juice of half a lemon
• Salt & ground white pepper to taste
• Rinse the split yellow peas under cold water a few times. Set aside in a large pot.
• Roughly chop all your veges. Add to the pot with the peas.
• Nestle the hock or bacon bones into the peas & veges.
• Add stock, lemon juice, hot sauce, apricot jam & dried herbs.
• Bring to the boil. Then reduce to a simmer with the lid on for 1 hour.
• After 1 hour, take the lid off and continue to cook for half an hour. Stir and make sure nothing has caught on the bottom of the pot.
• Remove the hock or bones from the soup. Set aside to cool.
• Blitz the soup mixture with a stick blitzer. Taste and season with salt & pepper. If it’s too thick, add a bit more water to loosed and adjust seasoning to suit your tastebuds.
• Pick the meat of the bone(s). Add back to the soup and stir.
• Do a final taste check.
• Serve with crusty white bread and some cracked black pepper on top of the soup.
• As my Gramps used to say; ‘it’ll stick to your ribs’.